On the heels of my 3 year blogaversary (yesterday!) I wanted to do a more in depth yearly recap than I did last year, but seriously ran out of time to make it up myself. Luckily the folks over at Perpetual Page Turner had just that – I hope they don’t mind that I joined in on their awesome survey!
So I read far less this year that I intended to, but I loved nearly every single book so I’m really excited to participate in this survey! Plus, if you missed posts and reviews from MMSAI over 2013, this is a great way to see almost all of them at once!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
Nope, not going to happen. I can’t pick just one. I can’t. Don’t make me.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I am a little behind so I have to say that INSURGENT (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth. You can check out my review HERE and see why I was so disappointed and give it 2.5 of 5 *sad face*
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Sleepless in Las Vegas by Colleen Collins. It was my first Harlequin novel, and first romance novel really, as well. I was blown away by the amazing writing and world building! Check out the glowing review for it HERE and I hope you will try it too – it was so far out of my normal comfort zone, I’m still shocked I loved it so much!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
When asked lately I suggest The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, you’d be surprised how many people haven’t read it yet! (PS did you see the movie poster?) Also, since I finished the EVERNEATH series by Brodi Ashton, I recommend that to people looking for amazing YA Paranormal. And of course I’m always suggesting Jamie McGuire’s Beautiful Series to any one who will listen –and even some who won’t.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
I have two, both are kind of post-apocolytic books but neither one is anything like ANY book in the dystopian genre you have EVER read!
The ASHES series by Ilsa J. Bick. is complete, you can get them all now! MONSTERS the final book in the series which I am reading now came out in 2013. You might think zombies, but are they really…it’s SO cool!
The other is IN THE AFTER by Demitria Lunetta, with the final book in the series IN THE END coming out in June 2014. This blew me away. What you think is happening, who you think is the “bad guys” is SO not, and you will be shocked when you get clued in near the end! See my review of IN THE AFTER HERE
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Okay. Let me see, I would have to say…..that while I didn’t “discover her” in 2013, I did read my first books by her in 2013 and I can say with out a shadow of a doubt that I adore her work, and will be devouring her other books in 2014! It’s Aprilynne Pike! Not only did I get the amazing chance to chat with her at Dark Days tour stop in Minneapolis, I was lucky enough to so some tours and a cover reveal for her! She is such a genuinely wonderful and kind person! I’m lucky to be able to still chat with her from time to time!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Totally SLEEPLESS IN LAS VEGAS by Colleen Collins. As I mentioned before, I don’t read romance, and this one was perfect in every single way!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Ohhhh. Let me see, I would have to say this honor belongs to A TOUCH MENACING by Leah Clifford. I read it in one sitting, and it was the ending to the first series I really loved as a blogger, the A Touch Trilogy. You can see my review of it HERE. And, being super besties with the author has it benefits, when I was upset at the ending (as I am when all my favorite series end) I sent my copy to her and made her rewrite it for me! No, I’m not kidding, and she actually did this! Of course now there’s a Game of Thrones reference penned in the margins of my pages, but it’s hilarious and I love it.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
No book will get this honor I am afraid. It’s not because I didn’t read any I wouldn't love to read again, but simply because I never have time to revisit old book loves, sadly.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
No contest. The whole Everneath Series has beautiful covers!
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
I would have to say, again SLEEPLESS IN LAS VEGAS, seriously you need to pick up this book by Colleen Collins.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green of course, and IF YOU FIND ME by Emily Murdoch
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
There's so many of them I’m almost embarrassed!
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
And everything by Aprilynne Pike (even if the ones I read in 2013, came out in 2013)
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
This is like asking me to pick my favorite book. I won’t be able to pick just one, so here’s a few, but certainly not all. I am quote collector!…..
“You found her. Excellent. That'd be awkward if we handed out 'lost archangel' posters all over town. No one would take us seriously, for God's sake. They'd arrest us!"
"Ethan." Will mumbled disapprovingly.
"Well, they'd arrest you first," he continued, pointing at Will. "You're far more shady-looking than I. The tattoos. That's what it is.”
― Courtney Allison Moulton, Shadows in the Silence
There is also a “I steal covers while asleep.” “Yea well I kick crotches in my sleep” line from Shadows In The Silence by Courtney Allison Moulton that I L.O.V.E!
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Pretty much the whole of EVERBOUND by Brodi Ashton. I got it very, very early and no one had read it yet or even had the chance to by that point. Pure torture. Still can’t talk to many people about it yet!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
The friendship (can you call it that?) between Ellie and Caden in Silence in the Shadows by Courtney Allison Moulton. Read my open letter to her and Joss Whedon in my review HERE
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I feel like this list is getting redundant since I didn’t read too much this year (bad Amber, BAD!) But I’m going to go with A BEAUTIFUL WEDDING by Jamie McGuire. It’s a novella for The Beautiful Series and a must read for all Maddox Fans!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Have to go with The Fault In Our Stars, again.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?I read more non-fiction this year than normal. A total of 2 I think. I know, slow down Amber you’re moving too fast here! Also I read a lot of contemporary which is weird because normally I’m a paranormal girl.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Travis Maddox will always have my heart, but since I fell for him in 2012 I’m going to go with James from THE PROGRAM by Suzanne Young
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I'd say this goes to Demitria Lunetta’s IN THE AFTER!
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
And another one for IN THE AFTER by Demitria Lunetta, though she shares this one with 3:59 by Gretchen McNeil. Awesome worlds! Both (all 3? Read 3:59 and you’ll get this joke) of them.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Anatomy of A Single Girl by Daria Snadowsky .
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
I cry pretty easy, so there’s a few here.
If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch (OMG! Seriously!)
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (Okay? Okay.)
A Touch Menacing (A Touch Trilogy #3) by Leah Clifford (Even though I know it’s how it had to end I can’t even talk about it with out almost crying to this day – or smacking Leah Clifford.)
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?You know, for this one I just don’t have an answer….